Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A Thanksgiving to the Food

My friend and mentor Barry Moses suggested that I gave a Thanksgiving to all the food that supported me during my month. I liked the idea and cooked a final meal of wild food and shared it with my friends. Barry, who is a native from the Spokane Tribe, did a blessing in Salish, the native language from around here. This was a very cool ceremony and left me with a sense of completion and thanksgiving for the beautiful land that I live on.

We ate the wild turkey that my brother and I hunted the previous month, combined with wild amaranth and an apple huckleberry cobbler made with cattail flour and dock seeds.
It was delicious and it was great to share it with friends!





my brother Nathen


1 comment:

  1. Matthew, this is beautiful :0) I'm humbled and inspired by what you are doing, it's a bright path! My family lives on a wee homestead in VA and we are watching our son as he follows the way of the wild with much wonder and awe, on all our parts, and I see you and I see him and the oneness of all things through it. Blessings to you and yours~~~

    ReplyDelete