Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The End

It has been a very eventful month for me and I am kind of sad that it is over. It feels weird to get up in the morning and make myself a bowl of cereal. Although I will have more variation in my meals, you can't beat the raw quality of nature.

My transition to normal food was rather abrupt. I found out what happens if you eat junk foods after you have eaten wild foods for a whole month. I got sick and was throwing up for four hours. I only ate some cheese fries at a hot springs in Montana where we were for Thanksgiving.

I was thinking today while I was doing Spanish, how unnatural it is that we import food from far away. How weird it is that in the middle of winter, when there is nothing growing and people should be eating their stored food, that you can go to the store and get fresh produce like pineapples and tomatoes and other things.

I'll never look at normal food the same, I will always be thinking about the people that grew the food and prepared it. It took a lot of time and effort to collect and prepare my food over the last month, for example it took about six hours to get half a gallon of cattail flour. You can go to the store and buy a five pound bag of flour for five bucks. That is such a bargain! It took me hours of digging to get a bag of wild carrots, and in the store you can just buy carrots that are three inches thick by twelve inches long. And we think nothing of it.

Although I don't eat wild foods for staple foods anymore, I will include it in my diet as much as possible. I tasted the power of wild foods, I know where my food came from, I felt really good and alive while eating it. Wild foods to me are the REAL food.

Thanks for following my blog and for your support. It really helped me in the moments that I was feeling sorry for myself for not being able to eat whatever I wanted.







No comments:

Post a Comment