Thursday, November 17, 2011

Recipe of the day

I made the rest of my dried cattail roots into flour, and I have about half a gallon! I had enough to make myself an apple cobbler. I am planning to make myself a whole apple crumble tomorrow since I will be going away for the weekend and I need to take food with me. I also made flour with my dried kinnikinick berries.

The apple cobbler turned out better than ever. Here is the recipe so you can all try it:

slice up apples and cover the bottom of your pan well.
sprinkle huckleberries on top
fill the pan with more sliced apples and sprinkle on more huckleberries
cook, covered, in the oven for 45 minutes @ 350

For the topping:
(my pan is about 5 inches by 9 inches)
1/2 Cup of cattail flour
2T (heaping) seed flour (ground up dock seeds and lamb's quarters seeds)
OR
2T (heaping) ground kinnikinick berries
1T (heaping) ground red clover flowers
1/3 Cup honey
optional:
1/3 Cup butter
(this will make it taste more buttery and delicious)

spoon the topping on the cooked apples and bake for another 25 minutes

This picture shows the sources of my flour and what the flour looks like.   There is Kinnikinick berries on the left, red clover in the middle and cattail root on the right.


A WHOLE jar of cattail flour!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment