Monday, November 21, 2011

Wild Foods To Go

This weekend I did a scouting workshop with Twin Eagles Wilderness School. For that I brought Wild Foods To Go! It was Salmon jerky, Salmon pemmican, apple huckleberry crumble, soup, five smoked trout and dried apples.

It made me feel like I was in a nomadic tribe and I was eating food on the go. Here was all this dried, concentrated and powerful food and it was sustaining me. All I needed to eat were a few pieces to keep me going. I didn't think much about food until way past everyone else was feeling hungry. I felt proud that I was doing this, while everyone else had to rely heavily on what they were being given. Overall it made me feel much more confident and very grateful to the food I was eating.

It has been an incredible experience eating only wild foods these weeks. Eating all these amazing things that before I never thought you could eat. And they are tasting very good to me. Everywhere I go now, I find and acknowledge edible plants. Like the other day, when I was crawling through the snow and brushed up against a burdock plant. It shed all its burs on my coat. Instead of being annoyed, I thought of  how it would sustain me if I were hungry. After all, the burs on my coat will grow up to be edible plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment