Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Half way mark

Today is a special day, it means that tomorrow I will have gone one day further than the person I read about in the Inlander, who ate wild foods for two weeks. Being half way also means that today I have to make all the flour provisions for the next two weeks.

I am in the middle of making a batch of cattail root flour. I took a break to eat my lunch which is:
a stir fry of mustard greens, shredded apple, oregano and cubed moose heart.

Back to the flour. I am using cattail roots that I harvested and dried three weeks ago. I thought of putting them in the blender instead of pounding them out with a rock. This is working very well. I am getting a lot of flour so far.

In the beginning all I wanted was normal food and sweet foods and candy and stuff. But now I am realizing that when this project is over, I will actually miss eating wild foods. Now whenever I look at a candy bar or something, I see the ingredients with words I don't even understand. I think: "what will that do to my body?" I have a really good feeling about my food, I know where it came from and I harvested it myself. No unknown ingredients here!

There are still foods I would like to eat though, foods that my mom cooks. Organic and local foods and a little more variation than what I am eating now. But I will never look at food the same.

1 comment:

  1. Matthew- It is truly refreshing to read your comments about food. I know as a teenager I surely did not really think about where my food came from or what it would do to/for my health. Of course, now I see food in a whole new light. Your mom actually was the beginning of that for me. Anyhow, it is inspiring to me that you have undertaken this adventure and I hope that it continues to have a positive effect on your food choices for life. I truly believe that the garbage we are being fed is having a huge negative impact on our health. Keep going strong!!! You will make it the whole month!

    ReplyDelete